Friday, November 27, 2009

Encounter with a Child at the Shelter

Yesterday I entered the shelter by the back door on my way in to work. A small child with dark curls wearing pyjamas and Dora slippers was standing alone on the steps. She looked up at me and said "My Mommy is downstairs crying." I replied "Is Mommy having a sad day today?" and she nodded, then said, "Please go down and help her stop." My heart went out to this tiny tot who already has to experience such sadness because of violence in her life. But she and Mom are in a safe place now and Mom has someone she can talk to 24 hours a day, whenever she is feeling sad or wants to talk about how to move forward in her life. A thank you note from a former client recently stated, "Never before have I met such caring, helpful, co-operative, professional people. Thank you so much...you are truly life savers!"

Women's Crisis Services...here to support abused women and their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment